Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

Not many people realize that line is actually the second line of the Mac--th. The first.... more depressing, and the following sets up nicely for the tragedy that Mac--th is.  I've been out of theatre for... 6 years, and I still can't bring myself to say the name.

Anyways. As I've said, I grew up in Stratford (Canada). When you grow up in Stratford, you grow up surrounded by the Festival - we got tickets at school, camp, from actor boarders and later, when both my Mom and I worked there. We also (luckily) had most of the plays explained to us in school - something most other elementary schools weren't so lucky with. I remember the first time I saw Mac--th. It's not my favourite play (Pericles) but it's always resonated with me.  I'll always remember sitting there, a little too young to understand, and hearing:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools


I might not have fully understood where it was going, but it always resonated with me. Too young to understand the specifics I felt, and feel to this day, that what matters isn't the past, it's the future.  We always look back with more knowledge then we had.

I have a job interview tomorrow. For it, I turned down a job offer out west.

So, here's to hope, dreams and the future.

No comments: