Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

So remember how I'm a librarian?

Sort of. Sometimes. Hopefully soon. In a recent job interview, I was asked what it is I'm reading. So, here's a list. First of what I'm reading, and then what I'm looking forward to reading.



The Night Circus is a phantasmagorical fairy tale set near an ahistorical Victorian London in a wandering magical circus that exists only from sunset to sunrise. Le Cirque des RĂªves features such wonders and "ethereal enigmas" as a blooming garden made all of ice and a fire-breathing paper dragon. Its truly magical nature is occluded under the guise of legerdemain. The curious circus develops avid fans who distinguish themselves to each other by wearing the black and white of the circus tents, with a splash of red. The magicians Prospero the Enchanter and the enigmatic Mr. A.H— groom their young proteges, Celia and Marco, to proxy their rivalry with the exhibits as a stage.


Why I'm reading it: Because I'm a sucker for a good cover. No, really. I am. Really though, when I was a kid, one of the school librarians once told me to "Read the first five pages, and if you're hooked, get the book." When I read the first five pages, I was drawn into the story, it seemed just fantastical enough, excellently written, and most importantly, I didn't want to put it down.


Thebes, 1999, the run up to the end of the year: the Scales family must deal with a matriarch driven half mad by a blow to the head by a statue of the Virgin Mary, while gay choirmaster Jeremy must find a practise space for his band, which may draw him into a collision course with the local nuns.

Why I'm reading it: Because I *loved* Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister. I'm also admittedly a sucker for an author who writes out of their comfort zone.
Burned-out private dick Michael McGill needs to jump-start his career. What he gets instead is a cattle prod to the crotch. The president's heroin-addicted chief of staff wants McGill to find the Constitution-thereal one the Founding Fathers secretly devised for the time of gravest crisis. And with God, civility, and Mom's homemade apple pie already dead or dying, that time is now. But McGill has a talent for stumbling into every imaginable depravity-and this case is driving him even deeper into America's darkest, dankest underbelly, toward obscenities that boggle even his mind.

Why I'm reading it: Because I was told to. I was aimlessly wandering the rows of Chapters, as I do, debating if I should bite the bullet and buy Patricia Briggs book (it was a thing.) and I ran into a friend of a friend I knew from Twitter, and met once at a TFC game. We got to chatting, found out we have very very very similar literary tastes, and she informed me I could not leave without it. Good enough for me.

What I'm looking forward to:
Seanan McGuire's Discount Armageddon. I love her Rosemary and Rue Urban Fantasy Series. Love love love. Comes out early March.
Kim Harrison's A Perfect Blood. I LOVE her Hollows series. Arguably more than anything else I've read recently. So does everyone else who's read it, or who I've given it to. Comes out late February.
Jim Butcher's Cold Days. I also LOVE the Harry Dresden series. Who knows when it will be out, but Ghost Story is one of my favourite books.
Rosina Harrison's Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor. Already out, and been recommended to me a few times. Already out, looking forward to it.There are more that I am both reading, and looking forward to.
I'm on a bit of an odd Urban Fantasy kick, usually I tend more towards straight-up fiction. I think it's in rebellion to 2 years of Academic reading about Information.

No comments: